Thursday, May 14, 2009

kicking forty-one in the ass

The Taurus of the family turned forty-one years old this past Saturday. We have a tradition to ask the other one of those introspective (and oft-vexing) questions requiring the birthday-ed one to say what he / she wants to do with the coming year. This year’s conversation went a bit like this:

Cindy (in energizer bunny form): Todd! It’s your birthday, Happy Birthday! Happy Birthday! Happy Birthday! You’re forty-one, it’s a new year! Are you excited? What do you want to do with forty-one?

Todd (in satori form): Thanks Love! Technically I wasn’t born until the afternoon so I’m still 40, which gives me a few hours to prepare. And prepare, I am.

Cindy: Alright (under breath) crazy man. I'm not sure what that means. For what are you preparing? 'Tis just another day, really, isn't it?

Todd: Nope not just another day, this time. I’m getting ready. Readying my plans for forty-one, I’m not at the Happy Birthday just yet.

Cindy: Hmm. Sounds interesting, what are you doing with forty one, then?

Todd: Kicking it the ass, kickin' it in the ass, Dear. Forty knocked me sideways. Not again, I’m kickin’ this next one in the ass.

Perfect. This is why I love Todd the Taurus. And later that day I read this little snipit about a Taurus man:

Taurus peacefully tends and nurtures Spring's garden, bringing forth harmony from chaos. Like the Bull, Taurus does not move unless there is something worth moving for.

I think Todd is ready to move and bring forth harmony (kick-ass style) from an insanely chaotic year.

We kicked ass - er, off - OFF the year (and Mother's Day) with a picnic in Wabun Park just near the Ford Bridge. Geoff and Tina provided deliciously marinated chicken and veggie kebabs. Mom shared a wonderful green salad and balsamic dressing. And, we capped it off with a small Cafe Latte Triple Chocolate Cake. When I put the little party cake on the table, in true Todd fashion he exclaimed, "Cupcakes! I love cupcakes!"



A frisbee golf outing followed, and we all learned my mom and I should NEVER be on the same team given our triple and quadruple bogies.

Here's the skinny on the food:

veggie kebabs
1 vadalia onion quartered
18-20 baby portabello mushrooms
2 red peppers
2 yellow peppers
2 yellow zucchini or summer squash
1 can pineapple chunks (yes, even those who hail from Hawaii sometimes buy pineapple chunks)

chicken kebabs
3-4 skinless boneless chicken breasts, cubed

marinade
pineapple juice from chunks
2 cloves of garlic
1 table spoon ginger
salt and pepper to taste

Skewer the veggies and meat. Marinate separately for at least 1 hour. Get the coals ready, oil up your grilling surface and put on the kebabs. Watch. Flip. Watch. Eat.



key ingredient: spray bottle of oil for the grill, it's Geoff's non-stick weapon.



other key ingredient: Geoff the Grilling Master

1 comment:

  1. I don't know where to begin! For starters, I would really like to taste your blog's header. Is it wrong that I almost licked my screen? Next, the kebobs look YUMMY!!! Totally gonna try 'em.

    ReplyDelete