Monday, June 1, 2009

a skellenger



I finally connected a few dots of my behavioral eating patterns and can now squarely place all the blame on growing up in the extended Skellenger family.

See, I eat fast. Really fast compared to Todd, and moderately fast compared to most people who do not claim relation to the Skellenger Clan. I cannot place blame at the foot of one person, it is the result of the collective (feet?). We have aunts and uncles, brothers, sisters, cousins, second cousins and cousins significant others, grandmas and grandma-likes. When we do a breakfast or dinner, 15-20 people is a low turnout. Meals are a production, and it is akin to a 'feeding' - we literally count the mouths, the known appetites of various relatives and we do the math to ensure everyone gets one of everything. There is an egg team, a waffle team and a fruit / juice team for breakfasts. There is a similar evening meal teams designation. Ancillary bodies not assigned to a team, but near the kitchen make sure the table is set, and become food runners in the preparatory stages of a meal. It is a model of efficiency, and I believe, at its essence, could be a model for team building or office efficiency. I am digressing here, but the point is this: making food AND eating food is a sight to behold with the Skellenger family. And, I've come to realize my tendency to eat quickly is a direct result of how good the food is and how scarce it becomes about 15 minutes into the feeding. We have voracious appetites, and if you are to be sated with the current meal, you better plate up and do not second guess your impulse to double stack...just do it. If you eat fast enough, you may, just may be able to get seconds on something. Good luck, though, especially when the 20-30somethings gather 'round.

There in lies the root of my nature to eat fast. I am trying to slow down, but obviously failed miserably during my Memorial Weekend sojourn in Michigan. I have absolutely not one photo of meals at the Skellengers' despite the fact that I agreed with myself that I'd take the time to take some photos to share. I was on the corn team for dinner, egg team for breakfast and there was no way I was going to pull out the camera and let Elly beat me to the waffles and syrup.

I did, though, manage to take a few photos of the dogs whilst resting my stomach muscles.

This is Jaeger being called to his feeding.


This picture perfectly conveys the black lab personalities. Maisy, the watchful guard of the lake, Jaeger the mischevious digger, and Sadie the eldest, sun bathing on a beautiful May morning. Oh, and Todd, in the kayak, looking for turtles and burning a few breakfast calories.

2 comments:

  1. Is it strange that I want to eat your blog?

    ReplyDelete
  2. As Kim says: "In your family, eating is more like a sport." Nice post Cinders... :)

    ReplyDelete