Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Domesticated Cat

Socrates, our wild-at-heart cat, mews incessantly at times and we have no idea why. I’ve come to the conclusion that she has no idea why, either. She just does it because that’s what she does. It crackles and gets a bit sad at times. Then again, it is a roar at times and she quite likes herself while she’s mewing.


Cooking, while I LOVE eating, is something I never thought would get the best of me. It is absolutely no part of my residual self-image. I’m bad ass like Trinity (a la Matrix), or at least that’s what I tell myself. No matter what, my self-image does NOT hold a wooden spoon and certainly does not own a white apron with wintery gnomes painted gleefully at the bottom of it. But here I am: wooden spoon and gnomes galore. And, blasted, I'm blogging about it.


Sigh.


So am I kind of bummed about all of this? Well the funny thing is, no, not at all. What I’m bummed about is that I’m not bummed. I actually like cooking despite the fact that I think, based on my vision of myself, I shouldn’t like it and certainly shouldn't admit to liking it. I’m not sure I’m any good, but I’m loving it and learning to cook the in the savory style of my mom (she’s a heckva cook when she has the time).


I feel a bit like Socrates the cat. She’s domesticated, and enjoys indulging in the domesticated lifestyle, but she mews now and again just to remind herself that, while she’s loving her cat food and mouse toy, she’s still a wild bad ass cat at heart.


Yesterday’s concoction: Pumpkin Bread with Chocolate Chips from Runners World. It is ridiculously easy and they consider it a good post run food. Ha!


I’m a sucker for all-things pumpkin, so gave it a go. It is unbelievably moist, a little chocolaty and deliciously pumpkiny. I prefer large chocolate chips so just changed that one thing!



1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete