Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Kitchen Voyeur….or perhaps Kitchen Lurker (if you’re Erica)

**First things first...I have no idea what is going on with the html of this blog - why it is in one type and then another...various sizes, etc...My apologies for the disastrous formatting...I may be switching to WordPress tomorrow...back to story...**

Ever want to secretly peek in someone’s kitchen? Just want to see what they think are essentials? Being that I’m an aspiring cook, not really a cook, I need a peek inside
all kitchens to take a gander at gadgets, cool tools and essentials. I have a lot of fun things I’ve acquired over the years (and yes, Mom, I do know how to use them...most of them), but at this point in my cooking adventure, I can point to three essentials. And, go figure, they don’t actually contribute to the cooking of things but they are essential to my, ahem, process.

Item Number One: My dear, dear Chemex coffee carafe
With a little experimentation, research and watching Darrel over the years, I’ve learned how to brew an exceptional cuppa coffee in my
Chemex, if I do say so myself. Darrel (nearly father-in-law and the best deal finder in the WORLD), found this beauty at the SPCA thrift store…for probably somewhere around $5.00. As many of you know, I’m a sucker for a quad espresso over ice with a touch of vanilla, and I’ll still enjoy one from time to time, but a beautiful faux-lait at home is my new favorite thing. What’s a faux-lait you ask? It’s a Phyllis creation – coffee with warmed milk that is foamed with a swizzler (yes, that’s the name of the tool…which come to think of it is another essential). P.S. When you say faux-lait, say it with oomph, like you’re saying, “Olé!” and holding a sombrero….faux-LAIT!!




Item Number Two: Todd's dear, dear Chantal tea kettle
This has a bit of a back story; have a cuppa coffee, relax and let me tell you. Todd’s Aunt Barb passed away twelve years ago, and before she left this earthly place, she asked Todd what of hers he would like to keep. Without hesitation, he asked for her tea kettle. It has seen many a family event and is rich with memories; the sound of the whistle brings him back to her house in Berkeley in an instant. That kettle had been sitting upon our stove for the last five years and we used her frequently for tea and coffee, but she was a bit worse for wear. Darrel, my coffee coach, found an almost spanking new Chantal – in the SAME cobalt blue color that I hear was Barbs favorite color. Darrel did in fact pay exactly $5.00 for it this fall. It made the journey to MN after a lovely Thanksgiving in California. We've retired Barb's, as we would like to keep that one forever. I never knew Barb, but I think of her every morning when I hear the beautiful whistle of the cobalt Chantal, and I send my thoughts to her, wherever she may be.


Chemex and Chantal go hand in hand.


Item Number Three: The happy, happy gnome apron

Yes, Mom, it is the third essential. You’ve given me a few over the years: one with a pansy, one with an apple pie on it, a Hawaiian themed one, and a gnome one. What on Earth made you think I’d want one with snowman making gnomes on it, I’ll never know, but it rocks. It is the perfect size, perfect weight, perfect pockets and perfect tie ‘round the waste. I suppose there is a cook or two out there tisking at my apron wearing, but novice Cindy needs one or I’m going to be writing about laundry, not cooking. The gnomes and their snow antics remind me to enjoy this *%$#(@&!! winter, at the very least from the warmth of my kitchen.
See the gnome? I'll give you a hint...he's wearing orange shoes.

So back to kitchen peeking. While she’s still creating her list of essentials and figuring out what to share and what remains secret, I did get Stephanie to spill the beans on a beautiful, delicious looking soup she made on Monday night. She’s not technically on furlough yet, but in anticipation, she’s honing her cooking skills with a Cabbage and Sausage Soup. She claims she started with this recipe on Epicurious but as far as I can tell from the ingredients lists, she thought that recipe was crap about a quarter of the way into it and totally improvised. The result looks amazing and I just want a small little taste, please.


Stephanie's recipe:

4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
12 ounces fully cooked Wellshire Farms Kielbasa Pork Sausage (65% less fat version), sliced in half and cut into 1/2" chunks
1/2 head large cabbage, chopped
3 cups sweet yellow onion, chopped
2 cups baby carrots, cut in half lengthwise, then halved crosswise
3 tablespoons Sierra Nevada Spicy brown mustard, or other spicy brown mustard
1 giant sprig fresh thyme, chopped
3 tsp dried rosemary
1 tsp cumin
3 tsp red pepper flakes
4 cups low-salt chicken broth
4 cups water
1 cup beer (I used an I.P.A.)
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar or other white vinegar
1 15-ounce can cannellini (white kidney beans), rinsed, drained
Salt and pepper to taste

Dumplings
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
Black pepper to taste
1 cup milk (more if needed for proper consistency)

Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add sausage slices and sauté until brown around edges, about 5 minutes. Add cabbage and mustard; sauté 2 minutes. Transfer to bowl. Add remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil to same pot and heat over medium heat. Add onions, carrots, thyme, rosemary, cumin, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper; sauté until soft, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes (I keep the lid on in this step to trap the moisture). Add broth, water, beer, vinegar, sausage-cabbage mixture, and beans and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 40 minutes. While soup is simmering prepare the dumplings by mixing the dry ingredients together and then stir in the milk. Keep adding milk until the dumpling mixture just barely falls off the end of a large spoon. When the soup is close to ready, drop large spoonfuls of the dumpling mixture into the simmering broth. Let dumplings simmer for approximately five to eight minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and eat! Makes about 8 servings. Yum..

Thanks Stephanie!

No comments:

Post a Comment