Sunday, February 15, 2009

weekend delights

Well, let's just say I did not get that Sunday roast in the oven...yet. I did, though, finish my capstone book and it is with my advisers for review! That feels pretty good. We did have a few delicious treats. Baked ziti from Cooks Illustrated (thanks for the subscription Phyl and Darrel!). It is a fantastic recipe - calls for cottage cheese instead of ricotta and a few other tricks make it tangy and full of flavor. I'll post the recipe later but wanted to get these up given that you all read my posts first thing in the a.m. (it's just as informative as watching the news or reading the paper, I know).
Ziti sauce and pasta in process. Note the cool Le Creuset spatula in the hot simmering sauce...am I nuts using such a utensil?!? No, this one is made of that fancy stuff that can with stand heat, my curses and the next atomic bomb. Thanks Phyl!!

The final product - baked ziti (well, penne really), a delicious green salad with a great balsamic vinaigrette (garlic, dijon, balsamic, olive oil and lots o pepper).

And, this morning, we were quite hungry again (I am sure our stomachs have been stretched over the last two weeks). So I made some delicious whole wheat pancakes (Creme de Colorado) and eggs with aged white cheddar, green onion, canadian bacon, tomatoes and yellow pepper. The pancakes are delicious, but lets be honest, all Skellengers know they are just a vehicle for the 1940 Club Syrup. All hail Uncle John's Sugar Shack!! Eggs were delicious too!

You can barely see it, but the syrup pitcher has been upon many Carlson breakfast tables. My Grandma Carlson would make us breakfast and Geoff and I each had our own "Good Morning!!" rooster pitcher for milk. I have both now...Geoff, come over for breakfast and I'll get it out for you!

So, to work I go...left overs are packed and ready for my first day back! Mom, I didn't layout my clothes, but I did iron.

2 comments:

  1. Hooray for finishing your crapstone! What a load off. And your posts are killing me....I just ate lunch and now I am hungry all over again! Too bad you aren't around today for a walk. I liked Cindy on furlough....

    ReplyDelete
  2. More more more!!!!

    ReplyDelete